Purpose-Local non-governmental organizations (NGOs) being regarded as the clear representation of the participation of people, pave the way for fulfilling the objectives of sustainable development. The main goal of this study is to investigate the circumstances and consequences of local NGOs in empowering rural women in protecting the environment of Roshtkhar County (One of the southern Counties of Khorasan Razavi province).
Design/methodology/approach- The data needed for this study have been obtained through semi-structured interviews with a purposive sample of the founding boards and active members of NGOs (n =27).
Findings-The results of the current study that utilized the conventional coding process indicating that in the villages studied, NGOs protect and improve the environmental performance and lead to the economic empowerment of the rural women.
Research limitations / implications- Similar to other rural research, this research has encountered some general problems that have plagued other rural research in the country. Statistical problems and lack of cooperation and justification of Governmental organizations
Originality/value- As the results of most studies show, despite some difficulties and difficulties for the growth and development of such institutions in the country, most of them have an important role in women's empowerment. Although very little research has been done in the country, no research has been done in the study area.
Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), Women's empowerment, Rural environment, Roshtkhar County
2. Alexander, O. (2003). Sustainable rural development in developing countries. Switzerland: University of Lausanne.
3. Ali Shah, M. (1386/2007). Rural women, food security, and economic. Sixth Conference of Agricultural Economics, Ferdowsi University Mashhad, Iran. [In Persian]
4. Ansari, S. (1392/2013). Women and the environment: The myths of yesterday to today's step NGOs, independent activists, websites, and blogs, conferences. Women's Policy Research, 4(2) 23-25. [In Persian]
5. Azkiya, M., & Faith, A. (1387/2008). Sustainable rural development. Tehran: Information Press. [In Persian]
6. Barari, M., Motahariasl, M., & and Razavi Khorasan J. (1391/2012). Effect of non-governmental organizations on the social-economic female-headed households. Journal of Scientific Sociology of Women, 3(1), 153-176. [In Persian]
7. Batti, R. (2014). Challenges facing local NGOs in resource mobilization. Humanities and Social Sciences, 2(3), 57-64.
8. Brown, D. (1993). Nongovermental organization as development catalysts. IDR (Report 10).
9. Cernea, M. (2007). Nongovermental organizations and local development. Washington: World Bank.
10. Coulson, A. (2007). Local government in Eastern Europe: Establishing democracy at the grass roots. Aldershot: Edward Elgar
11. Giddens, A. (2007). Sociology (H. Chavoshian, Trans.). Tehran: Ney Publishing.
12. Handy, F., & Meenaz, K. (2006). Practice what you preach? The role of rural NGOs in women's empowerment. Journal of Community Practice, 14(3). 69-91.
13. Islam, N., & Sultana, N. (2005). Role of NGOs in empowering the vulnerable women: A study on ACD. Asian Affairs, 27(4), 24-40.
14. Key issues in development. (2005). Damien kings bury, Joe remeny, mekay and Janet hunt. palgrave macmillan.
15. Korten, D. C. (2003). Getting to the 21 centuries: Voluntary action and the Gloval Agenda. West Hartford, Connecticut: Kumarian Press.
16. Mara, J. G., & Janis, L. (2015). Innovative grassroots NGOS and the complex processes of women’s empowerment: An empirical investigation from Northern Tanzania. World Development, 66, 762-777.
17. Mohammadi, S. (1398/2020). Identifying and analyzing the barriers affecting the development of environmental NGOs in rural areas (Case study: Green Chia association in Marivan). Journal of Geography and Development, 55, 211-236. [In Persian]
18. Newaz, W. (2000) (July, 5). Impact of NGO credit programs on the empowerment of rural women in Bangladesh: A case of UTTARAN. Paper presented at the conference "The Third Sector: For What and for Whom?". The International Society for Third-sector Research in Dublin, Ireland.
19. Rezaee, Z. (1389/2010). Empowerment of women in the development process. Women's Policy Research, 1(1), 1-229. [In Persian]
20. Roknodin Eftekhari, A. (1391/2012). The foundations of the theory of development pattern typical village. Giulan: Governor Publications. [In Persian]
21. Shahbahrami, F., Pishgahifard, Z., Zalpour, K., & Bakhteari, T. (1389/2010). The effect of non-governmental organizations on the prevention of crime women heads of households. Journal of Security Management, 5(3), 504-518. [In Persian]
22. Subhi Moghaddam, M. (1397/2018). Local NGOs conditions, interactions and outcomes (Case study: Keykha village, city of Zabol). Tehran: Tarbiat Modarres University. [In Persian]
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Respectfully ", I declare that I am editing an article, principle of intellectual property is considered and if it is proved otherwise, to compensate for the losses sustained by the Journal of Research and Rural Planning am committed.