Purpose- Agro-tourism and the development of farm-based tourism businesses have emerged as a creative and innovative approach to rural tourism, which exploits the potentials and capabilities of agricultural activities as unique opportunities for employment and development and poverty alleviation. The purpose of this study is to identify opportunities and areas for Agro-tourism development in rural areas of Tehran Province.
Design/methodology/approach- This is an applied research that adopts a descriptive-analytical approach. The statistical population of the study consisted of the rural areas of Tehran Province, of which 8 towns and three villages from each town were selected as the sample. Data collection was conducted using both library and field survey methods; however, the main focus of the research was on field studies, which involved a questionnaire and face-to-face interviews. The questionnaires were prepared for three groups of villagers, tourists, and officials separately. The sample size for villagers was determined using Cochran formula (n=261). Also, since the exact number of tourists and officials was not known, the sample size of these two groups was selected using purposive method (n=31 and n=20, respectively). Data were analyzed using descriptive (mean and frequency) and inferential statistical methods (Chi-square test, one-sample t-test and Mann-Whitney test).
Findings-The results suggest that government support and infrastructure improvement, the organization of local festivals related to farm products, the participation of tourists in harvesting, the direct presence of tourists in farming, job creation, and promotion of rural income levels are the most factors that influence Agro-tourism development in rural areas of Tehran Province. According to the results, showed all respondents agreed on the positive impact of the studied measures on Agro-tourism development.
Tourism, Rural tourism, Agro-tourism, Villages of Tehran Province
2. Anabestani, A. & Mozafari, Z. (1397/2018). Explaining factors affecting villagers' tendency to agro-tourism (Case study: Tourism villages of Fazl Village of Neyshabur City). Tourism Planning and Development, 24(7), 123-145. [In Persian]
3. Asghari, S., & Jafari, H. (1397/2018). Investigating the impact of tourism on the economic and social development of rural areas (Case study: Talesh County Villages). International Journal of Iranian Geographical Association, 57(9), 158-172. [In Persian]
4. Badri, S. A., Salmani, M., & Heidari, Z. (1395/2016). Attitude of the local community towards the perceived risks of agro-tourism development (Case study: Tonekabon County). Tourism Planning and Development, 18(5), 8-32. [In Persian]
5. Bagheri, A., & Rashidekloir, H. (1397/2018). Ardebil villagers' attitude toward the effects of Guidance plan (Hadi Project) on development of rural tourism infrastructure. Rural and Development, 1(21), 25-48. [In Persian]
6. Barbieri, C. (2013). Assessing the sustainability of agritourism in the US: A comparison between agritourism and other farm entrepreneurial ventures. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 21(2), 252-270.
7. Bondoc, I. (2009). Finding fun in food farming characteristics of US agritourism industry (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). University of Florida, US.
8. Bouzarjomehri, Kh., Shayan, H., & Qandahari, E. (1396/2017). The role and status of agro-tourism in rural development. Paper presented at the Regional Conference on Tourism Capacity and Development of Ferdows County, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Mashhad, Iran. [In Persian]
9. Choo, H., & Petrick, J. F. (2014). Social interactions and intentions to revisit for agritourism service encounters. Tourism Management, 40(3), 372-381.
10. Heidari, Z., Rezvani, M. R., & Badri, S. A. (1395/2016). Analysis of factors affecting local community participation in agro-tourism development planning (Case study: rural areas of central Tonekabon County). Geographical Planning of Space Quarterly, 21(6), 13-27. [In Persian]
11. Hepburn, E. (2008). Agritourism as a viable strategy for economic diversification: a case study analysis of policy options for the Bahamas. (Unpublished doctoral dissertation), Graduate School of Clemson University, Supervisor: Dr. Robert Smith.
12. Hesam, M., Rezvani, M. R., & Faraji Sabokbar, H. A. (1395/2016). Measuring the status of tourism entrepreneurship development in rural areas (Case study: villages of Larijan District of Amol County). Human Geography Research, 4(48), 603-616. [In Persian]
13. Karimi, S. (1393/2014). Agro-tourism entrepreneurship, a new strategy for rural development. Journal of Entrepreneurship in Agriculture, 4(1), 69-90. [In Persian]
14. Khani, F., Khosravimehr, H., & Toorani, A. (1393/2014). Evaluation of Rural Tourism Potentials with Economic Challenges Approach (Case Study: Qaleh Qafa Village - Minoodasht County). Journal of Rural Researches, 5(1), 191-212. [In Persian]
15. Lago, N. A. (2017). Tourism demand and agriculture supply: Basis for agritourism development in Quezon Province. Asia Pacific Journal of Multidisciplinary Research, 5(3), 1-9.
16. Lopez, E. D., & Garcia, F. C. (2006). Agrotourism, sustainable tourism and ultraperipheral areas: The case of Canary Islands. PASOS Revista de Turismoy Patrimonio Cultura, 4(1), 85-97.
17. Lupi, C., Giaccio, V., Mastronardi, L., Giannelli, A., & Scardera, A. (2017). Exploring the features of agritourism and its contribution to ruraldevelopment in Italy. Land Use Policy, 64(9), 383-390.
18. Maruti, K. V. (2010). Agro-tourism: Scope and opportunities for the farmers in Maharashtra. Project of Good Employee Leave Manager or Institution, (February 9, 2010). Indiastat, September-October 2009. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=1550170.
19. Motiei Langroodi, S. H., & Katab Azgami, Z. (1396/2017). Economic consequences of rural tourism development in Bandar Anzali (Case study: Licharki Hassanrood district). Space Economy and Rural Development, 21(6), 1-16. [In Persian]
20. Najarzadeh, M., & Torabi, Z. (1396/2017). Agro-tourism development planning based on SOAR framework (Case study: Dizaj Shahrood Village). Tourism and Development, 3(6), 139-153. [In Persian]
21. Norouzi, A., & Fathi, E. (1397/2018). Evaluation of agro-tourism development capabilities and determination of its adoption in the destination society (farmers and tourists) in Lanjan County. Geography and Development, 51(16), 241-260. [In Persian]
22. Nouri, S. H., Moradi Hosien, N., Moradi, K., & Pasandi, Sh. (1396/2017). An analysis on the satisfaction of flower and plant tourists at the peak of visiting Mahalat City. Geography and Planning, 60(21), 249-261. [In Persian]
23. Orouji, H., Alizadeh, M., Abyaneh, V., & Safavi, S. R. (1397/2018). Presenting a model of rural tourism economics evaluation in Iran. Geographical Planning of Space Quarterly, 29(8), 107-131. [In Persian]
24. Razeghi borkhani, F., & Mohammadi, Y. (1397/2018). Developing TOWS strategic model in agricultural and rural tourism development of Mazandaran Province. Iranian Journal of Agricultural Economics and Development Research, 3(49), 509-525. [In Persian]
25. Rezvani, M. R., Najarzadeh, M., & Torabi, Z. (1395/2016). Challenges and issues of agro-tourism development (Case study: Shahrood Rural Areas). Tourism Management Studies, 36(11), 61-84. [In Persian]
26. Rezaei, B., Naderi, N., & Rostami, S. (1397/2018). Necessity of green entrepreneurship development in agriculture, Journal of Entrepreneurship in Agriculture, 1(.5), 1-16. [In Persian]
27. Salahi Esfahani, G. (21397/018). Agro-tourism with sustainable rural development (Case study: Anar Dehkadeh Qardin-Saveh). Tourism Space, 27(7), 87-99. [In Persian]
28. Samani Ghotbabadi, S., Torabi Farsani, N., Shafiei, Z., Bazrafshan, M., & Ghaffari, S. R. (1396/2017). Business potentials of agro-tourism in Jahrom County. Journal of Entrepreneurship in Agriculture, 4(4), 99-113. [In Persian]
29. Samani Ghotbabadi, S., Torabi Farsani, N., Shafi'i, Z., Bazrafshan, M., & Ghaffari, S. R. (13962017). Identification of agro-tourism capacities in Jahrom City using Toz model. Journal of Entrepreneurship in Agriculture, 2(4), 27-42. [In Persian]
30. Sathe, S. (2012). Management approach towards agrotourism with special reference to potential challenges development and growth in Western Maharshtra. Pune Publications, India.
31. Start, D. (2010). Livelihood insecurity and social protection: A reemerging issue in rural development (development policy review). London: Blackwell Publishing.
32. Valdivia, C., & Barbieri, C. (2014). Agritourism as a sustainable adaptation strategy to climate change in the Andean Altiplano. Tourism Management Perspectives, 11(2), 18-25.
33. Varmzayari, H., Rahimi, A., & Babaei, M. (1396/2017). Analysis of desired agro-tourism activities and services; Case study: Eastern Alamut Tourism. Tourism Planning and Development, 5(2), 77-95. [In Persian]
34. Wallenberg, P. (2012). Barriers and triggers to green entrepreneurship: An exploratory study (Unpublished master's thesis). Erasmus University Rotterdam, Netherlands.
35. Welteji, D., & Zerihun, B. (2018). Tourism–agriculture nexuses: Practices, challenges and opportunities in the case of Bale Mountains National Park, Southeastern Ethiopia. Agriculture and Food Security, 7(8), 1-14.
36. Yazdanpanah, M. (1397/2018). Multifunctional agricultural paradigm: Rural tourism as a key to sustainable employment in rural areas. Journal of Entrepreneurship in Agriculture, 1(5), 17-19. [In Persian]
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Respectfully ", I declare that I am editing an article, principle of intellectual property is considered and if it is proved otherwise, to compensate for the losses sustained by the Journal of Research and Rural Planning am committed.